Friday, February 3, 2017

ALERT! Weak Stomach Alert! Exposin' bones

On Tuesday, November 15, I get a phone call at work.  It is about 4:00 and that is when I typically leave work.  It is Ryan.  He is in hysterics and is telling me that he wrecked his bike.  "It's really bad mom!!"  He is clearly upset and I try to calm him.  Wrecked his bike I thought . . . how many times has he done that?  He is fine, just being dramatic.  I told him to calm down and that I would be there in just a minute.  I finished up what I was doing (took an extra 5 to 10 minutes probably--parent fail) and headed home.  I knew where he would be and drove to that location.  I saw him sitting on the rock wall with a woman, who I didn't know, standing beside him.  Her vehicle was there as well. 

I walked over to where they were, expecting to see a pretty bad scrape.  I figured we would go home and clean it up really well and everything would be fine.  Nope!  That's not what happened at all!!  As I bent down to look at his knee, amongst all the blood, I could actually see his knee bone.  The bone!  In my state of feeling surreal, I looked at the woman (who had so kindly come back (after driving past him) to make sure Ryan was ok when she passed him.  Her name is Jessie and she lives in our neighborhood.  Just on a different street.  She had not lived there long at the time and we had not had the pleasure of meeting her.  We know her now!) and said "Do you think we should go to the hospital?"  I am sure she thought "What an amazing mother this is!  You can see your child's bone and are debating on whether or not to go to the hospital?!" 

This is what I saw when I got to him.

Except his knee was bent so you could see the bone even better than you can here.  I drove to our house to tell the girls we were heading to the hospital. Jessie was kind enough to pack Ryan's bike up in her vehicle and bring it to our house.  I ran in, told the girls (would have taken them with me, but they both had stuff going on that evening and I needed to try to call parent friends who could come get them and take them to the places they needed to go) and we headed to the hospital.  Mike was working and ended up meeting us there about an hour after we arrived at the hospital.  The technicians needed to get his knee cleaned out.  This was very painful for him.  They used bottles of saline that they sprayed directly on his bone and it was cold and burning.  They did 5 large bottles and he dealt with the pain as well as he could.  It broke my heart!!  His eyes got watery, but he really never cried.  So proud of how tough he was!!
This is what his knee looked like after it was cleaned.  You can see the bone even better now.  We waited a little while for the Doctor to arrive, but when we arrived in the building, we were taken back very quickly.  We ran into an old friend who works in the ER.  She had seen a picture (similar to these) that was up in their breakroom (weird, I know).  She explained that they have these tv screens in their breakroom that have pictures of patients who are waiting in the "severe" rooms.  That way people can discuss things while they are getting their food or doing whatever things they need to do.  Anyway, she saw his leg, but didn't realize it belonged to Ryan until she ventured over to see who belonged to it.  :) 

Mike arrived along with one of his shift guys.  That made it where there were two deputies in the room.  An EMT who recognized them stopped by and asked if this was a dog bite.  He didn't realize one of the Deputies was the dad and thought there was a law issue with this one.  It is funny now, but we were in the throws of bad at that time.  Once the doctor arrived (Dr. Kime) he cleaned the opening even more.  Caused even more pain.  He came to us with options.  He could clean Ryan's busted leg right there in the ER or we could take him to the OR and he could put Ryan to sleep, clean and sew him up.  We struggled with what we should do.  If the OR was the route we went, Ryan would have to spend the night there and he really wanted to just go home.  He kept looking at me and telling me that and pleading to let him go home.  Dr. Kime told him it may be a little painful down in the ER where he wouldn't feel anything in the OR as he would be asleep.  One of the nurses told us (when the doctor was out) that if it were their child they would go to the OR.  Mike really wanted to go to the OR as he felt Ryan would be more comfortable.  Dr. Kime said he would numb him and everything and felt he could handle it in the ER.  Told Ryan how much pain he had seen him already withstand and didn't see why he couldn't handle this too.  Ryan was ultimately the person who decided and he decided that he wanted to have this done in the ER so he could go home that night.  Poor kid!!  Dr. Kime also told us that if he got started and Ryan just couldn't handle it, we could move to the OR.
Doctor cleaning out the area with more saline. 

Doctor stitching up the opening

 Mike took these pictures as I couldn't leave Ryan's head and he was holding my hand as well as one of the technicians hands.  Bad thing was, his hand was busted up too from falling.  I am pretty sure I was holding tighter than he was most of the time.  :) 

After 5 hours and 24 stitches, he was able to come home.  Was able to eat something since he missed dinner and his sisters were there to make over him.  They had gone with friend's parents and I am so thankful they were there to help me out!!!  Both girls had places to go that night and my fantastic friends really came through!!  I have some great friends!!  In addition to his stitches and brace, he also had a drainage tube sewn into his knee.  This had to be monitored and emptied if it got too full.  He missed three days of school because the doctor didn't want him going to school with the drainage tube and bulb with blood.  Didn't want people to hit it by accident or anything.  We didn't manage to get a picture of the tube.

After arriving at home.
This is one of my favorite pictures.  This was one of the days that he was out of school with his drainage tube.  Mike took him to wal mart and he was able to ride in one of these carts.  All three of my children dream of riding on one of these as they paroose the store.  I have no idea why!!  I never let them ride them as I don't feel they are toys.  Well, Ryan got to use one.  He really didn't have a really hard time walking, but it was nicer if he didn't have to.  He also used a crutch.  Just one.  It made it easier to move his straight leg--that couldn't bend.

Sleeping that first night was difficult. He had to go back every two weeks to see Dr. Kime at his office.  They took x-rays each time.  At the first visit, we discovered that there was still a small rock that ended up further down his leg than Dr. Kime had been able to flush out.  Just a small piece.  Dr. Kime put him on an antibiotic to take care of any infection it might cause and said that it will most likely surface years from now and remove itself.  Also possible it will pass in another way or may just stay in there for the remainder of Ryan's life.  Doesn't seem to bother him at this point.

The little speck on his bone that is just above the ? top.  It is just above and to the left.  White speck is the rock.  I am pretty confident it should be ok. 

Both x-rays show where Ryan's knee cap was chipped, but sadly I can't tell where this was.  The doctor showed me, but just don't know enough about bones to know.  I like that you can see his name up at the top of the x-ray.  The rock can still be seen in this one at the very bottom of the x-ray.
 His stitches came out after about 2 or 3 weeks.  It was much faster than I thought.  Apparently if you leave stitches in too long, your skin will begin to grow into the stitches and then you have to cut out the stitches.  Yuck.  So, we panicked for several days that the opening was going to open up again.  I am happy to say that it didn't open back up.  :)  The glue strips lasted about a week and then he was able to take a complete/real shower again!!  It is really hard to shower when you can't get your knee wet!!!
 In December, he was in two Christmas Parades with the marching band.  He would never have been able to keep up with everyone and as bummed as he was to be riding in the parade, he rode in both parades.  Not a happy camper, but knew that was the only way he could participate this year.  One of the adults that help with the band took this for me.

He was released from coming to the doctor anymore on December 20.  No more brace to wear!!  YEA!!  He was not able to participate in PE or wrestling or any real activity until January 2.  It was a long 7 weeks for him!  He was so glad to get back to working on walking and running again.  It came to him pretty easily, but was weird for a while.

This is what his knee looks like today.  It has healed very nicely.  Several people have told us about different creams to use to make the scar less noticeable.  As a 13 year old boy, he is pretty excited about having this scar. :)


Rabia Lieber said...

Oh my gosh! That is awful! Poor Ryan!! And here I thought Ben's forehead nick was bad. I'm glad he's all healed up. He'll have quite a story to tell from now no, won't he!

The Washington's said...

So true! :)