From all the stories I heard as a kid and from what I tasted, my Grandma Leftwich (Dad's Mom) has always been known for her cooking. Each holiday we would all gather at her and my Granddaddy's house and would feast on a spread of amazing food! One of her most famous dishes was her applesauce. Absolutely the best applesauce, worldwide!! Before she became so sick with Alzheimer's, and could still remember how to make her applesauce with a little bit of help, my Dad, Mom, Mike and I went to her house to make it with her. Since then, each year we make a bushel of apples worth of applesauce. We have now made it a tradition with our children and they love to make it!! Unfortunately, they will never know of the amazing cook who started it all, but I have plenty of stories to share!!

My mother has this awesome "Apple, Corer, Slicer, Peeler" from Pampered Chef. This makes peeling and cutting the apples so much faster and easier! First time using it, it paid for itself! I have no idea how long it would take to do all those apples by hand. Ryan, Lydia and Emily each had a turn using it.
Once all the coring, slicing, peeling and cooking was done, everyone took a turn running the apples through the sieve. Not quite sure why Lydia has her shirt off. I suppose it must have been a workout peeling all of those apples!
We ended up making about 31 containers of applesauce to freeze and eat. So far, they have all been quite yummy!!
No comments:
Post a Comment