Thursday, February 25, 2016

All City County??? What??!!

 

All of the high school and middle schools in our area participate in the All City County Honors Band each year.  The majority of the Middle School honors band is compiled of 8th graders and the high school honors band tends to be juniors and seniors.  However, there are kids that are asked to be part of honors band who are not in these grades and Ryan was one of them.  I was so excited to see him and was BLOWN AWAY by the talent that was on the stage for both middle and high school!!  The best of the best for both and the songs they learned, they learned in less than a 24 hour period.  CRAZY!!  Middle school played 4 songs.  Songs they had never played before, with kids they didn't know and learned everything in 8 hours of one day and 5 of another.  THAT'S IT!!!  High School played 5 songs that they learned in the same amount of time.  It was amazing!  They even had a different director that they didn't know.  Had to learn from someone else.

Sadly, I could only hear.  I was not able to see him.  I have not learned where to sit when my child is shorter than the drum he stands behind.  I have no pictures, but did video tape and you can hear what he is playing. In coming out of the auditorium, we ran into a family from our church.  They were there seeing their daughter who is in high school.  They said "Ryan was great!  He was really wailing on those things wasn't he?!"  I almost cried when I said "I couldn't even see him!  I was sitting in the wrong place.  I have no idea where to sit."  Their son plays the drums too, but was not part of the all city county.  They said they learned where to sit before their son was taller than the drums.  Much like Ryan.  They told me where to sit the next time.  I just hope I get to see him next time!!! 

Thankfully, his band director took and sent pictures of the kids to the parents.  They were taken the day before when they were learning the material.  Better than nothing I suppose.  :)
 















Ryan and the All City County Band Middle Schoolers from Ryan's school.  Just wish he would have been holding drumsticks or something.  :)  The guy in the middle is Mr. Todd.  He is their band director.  Yes, I know he looks like one of the students, but he is an adult.  :)  He is such a great guy and so good for the kids!  He works very hard with them and has taught Ryan everything he knows.


This is the band director who directed the middle school kids for the event.  Ryan had never met him before that day, but said that he liked him.




Crazies!! 

No comments: