Good friends are often hard to come by. When you find that good friend, you need to hang on to them. Becky (Ross) Settle and I have been friends since we were in High School. Back when the New Kids on the Block were quite popular! She and her family moved into our neighborhood and we met on the bus (I think that is where we met anyway:)). Instantly we became friends. She was a year behind me in school, but it really did not seem to matter. Upon graduating from High School, we remained friends during college and after college as well. She is now married with two boys. Lucas is 5 and is starting Kindergarten this year and Mason is 3. With Ryan 4 and starting Kindergarten and Lydia and Emily 2 and almost 3, our kids have a lot in common and enjoy spending time together. This, along with our great friendship, has enabled us to be friends in our adult life as well. Unfortunately, Becky lives in Mechanicsville and we live in McGaheysville . . . 2 hours away from each other. Soooooo as a result, every so often we visit one another.
This past Friday Ryan, Lydia, Emily and I went to Mechanicsville. Mike had to work this weekend so he was not able to go. Becky's husband visited his dad this weekend to help him with some yard work, etc. so it was just us girls and the kids. Saturday morning we took the kids to the public pool that is close to their house. We arrived at 10:30 and stayed until 3:30. The kids were wiped out and NO ONE had, had a nap. After the pool visit, they played together outside and after dinner we walked to a nearby school (where Lucas will be going to Kindergarten) and played on the playground. This was very nice since when they come to our house we walk to our playground (McGaheysville Elem. School--where Ryan will be starting Kindergarten) as well. After some very small meltdowns by Lydia and Emily, everyone passed out cold at about 8:30 Saturday night. Becky and I sat down and watched Michael Phelps win his 8th gold metal!!! That was awesome! I keep telling Becky that she needs to move back to Harrisonburg and she keeps telling me we need to move to Richmond. I seriously doubt either thing will happen, but it would be so great if it did! The only thing that would make our families perfect . . . . Becky and Stuart just need to have a little girl:).
I know by the time we left this morning (Sunday) our welcome was probably almost worn out:). Our family visits are very special as well as the time Becky and I get to spend catching up. She has always been a very special friend and I hope our friendship lasts until our children are gown and married and we are old and gray. Maybe our grand kids will play together one day too.
1 comment:
I remember NKOTB! I hated them, but I remember them. I'm glad you had a good weekend. Mine was quite boring, except for the puking parts of it!
Post a Comment