Many serious bloggers, blog according to themes, ideas, days, whatever strikes them. Thankful Thursdays is one I have seen and wanted to do, but never seem to remember to make an entry on a Thursday when I am thankful (which is every thursday). I am thankful for so many things in my life! So many things and so many people that I take for granted! I love my husband, my children, my parents, my brother, my grandparents (those still alive and the ones that have passed), my nieces, my nephews, my sisters in law, my brothers in law, and my friends! My life is amazing and so often I forget just how amazing it is!!
Today I had a parent make me realize just one small area of my life that I am so thankful. She dropped off her son at my classroom this morning. She explained that his grandmother would be picking him up this evening. She said this grandmother had picked him up once or twice, but she was not sure if I knew her. I told her that I knew her mom and I would recognize her. She explained that it was not her mother, but her son's father's mother. She said her son's father may and may not come with his mother. I know I had a pretty surprised look on my face because I have never heard her speak of this child's father. I assumed he was not in the picture. This child has a great support system though! He has a wonderful mother who has a nice boyfriend who is active in this child's life and her parents are very present in his life. She had just never mentioned a father. She explained to me that this was new. The father had been "gone" for two years and is interested in seeing his son. In her explanation of her concern for how it was going to go, she began to cry. And, of course, I had to cry with her--I tend to make it a policy--no one can cry by themselves with me in the room:).
After she left I realized how completely blessed I am that I do not have to part with my children periodically as a result of a broken home situation! I can't imagine sending my children off somewhere for any length of time and not know what they are doing, if they are scared, if they are ok. I have known many divorced mothers, step mothers, and single mothers in my lifetime. They all hold a very special place in my heart. Can't be easy to trust someone else to raise your child as well as it can't be easy to be the person that is helping to raise someone else's child.
My family is my life! I can't imagine not having all four of them with me all the time. Mike, I love you so much and I love what we have together! I am so thankful that you love me too! Happy Valentine's Day!!
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment