Wednesday, August 19, 2015

What a Band it!

 I am not sure if I mentioned in a prior post that Ryan was asked to be part of the High School Marching Band this year or not.  We are SO proud of him!  He was one of three 7th graders who were asked to be part of the high school marching band.  I was a little nervous about him doing this with these older kids, but in seeing the band kids at my high school (Spotswood--where I work) I have realized that they are such a great group of kids!  They work together so well and really seem to be accepting of each other and have each others back.  There is one song that he does where he carries a base drum.  This is what he carries when they are in parades and marching in to the football games on Fridays (when they start).  (Picture with base drum at bottom).

During competitions and halftime shows, his band director has put him on an instrument that I am sorry to say I don't know of the name.  It has multiple instruments on it and he plays them all at the same time pretty much.  It is amazing to watch him!  He even has to switch sticks in the middle and play something else.  We have been completely blown away at the way he has taken to this and has really enjoyed his time with the band and learning this new and challenging stuff!!!  Never had a music lesson in his life and Mike and I have NO musical ability!  All we can figure is that he has my Uncle Bill's blood running through him pretty thick.  :) 

This is a picture of Ryan and Blake.  Blake is a Junior at East Rock High School (where Ryan will go to high school and where he is part of the band.)  Sadly, he will be gone by the time Ryan is a Freshman, but this is the greatest kid!  I have never seen him with a hat on before yesterday so you can't see his face too well.  He always helps Ryan disassemble this instrument he plays and they walk together as Ryan waits for Blake while he gets his xylophone packed up and they walk together.  He talks to Blake more than any of the other students and I love that he is looking out for my little guy!!  Wish Blake was a tall Freshman or Sophomore so that they could be at East Rock together.  No such luck.  :)

Can't wait to show you pictures and movies of the actual band events!!


No comments: