Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Raising Band Money

As you know from prior posts, Ryan is a member of the East Rockingham High School Marching Band.  He really loves it and is really good at it!  The arts don't get the money that athletics do so they often have to have fund raisers to be able to grow their program.  ERHS has an agreement with one of our local BINGO halls to have the band members prepare and serve food for the BINGO night and the school gets a portion of the earnings for that night.  It often helps the band get about $300 once a month.  It's really great and great for the kids to volunteer!  It is my understanding that the same people often volunteer over and over again and there is not a lot of parents who are willing to volunteer with or without their kids.  It is unfortunate that more people don't help.  I have volunteered a few times and take Ryan with me when I do.  It is really good for him and the money is being raised for his particular activity.


Prior to this past time, we have only signed up to prepare food.  There are two different shifts you can choose from when you sign up.  Food prep is the first shift and server is the second shift.  We have always done first shift.  On the day that suited us in November, there were no more food prep slots left so I signed us up for a server shift.  Ryan was not happy with this as he enjoys preparing the food and is not too keen on having to talk to people he doesn't know.  Pushing him out of his comfort zone--he loves it when I do that.  :)  We were on the serving line and put Ryan serving the chicken and bread.  The only talking he had to do was to ask if they wanted light or dark meat and if they wanted bread.  Not too bad.  When they could hear him.  ;)




I love these pictures.  I couldn't take pictures until the line died down.  The line is usually out the door that you see in the picture.  When people were coming through I was working too hard to take any pictures.  I was serving the potatoes, gravy, pork (if they wanted that over meat) and the green beans.  :)  I was really proud of him.  We did this on November 12, 2016.  We will do it again before the year is out.  Next time Ryan wants to prepare again.  He didn't care for the serving as much.  I like the serving better.  :)

No comments: