A mother of one of our kids came up to me as she was picking her son up from school yesterday. Her son is in Ms. Treasa's class and they had already made their way up the hill to the playground . . . Ms. Stacey tends to take a little longer getting her kids cleaned up . . . anyway, this is the mother of a child I had when I first started working at this center. Very nice woman, but this is her only child, she is an older mom and she is a little harder to please than a lot of the other mothers. Plus, she and her husband are teachers:). In her son's cubby, Treasa had placed his Uncle Sam hat and construction paper flag he had carried in the parade that morning. She collected these items to take them home. As I was sweeping up the crumbs from snacktime, she passed my room holding this hat and flag, just looking at them. I looked up to say good-bye to her and she started to thank me for all the effort Treasa and I put into these kids. She said, "This parade must really have been a production." As she was talking tears welled up in her eyes. She talked about how difficult she knew this must be for us, but how wonderful it is for our kids to experience things like this. She went on to say how she was going to take the hat and flag home and see if she could get her little boy to have a parade at home with her and her husband. She must have thanked me three or four times. I told her I would be emailing pictures to her and to be on the lookout. She said she could not wait to see them.
I am thanked from time to time and told, quite often, how great it is that I do this and that I must have amazing patience. Funny, I really don't have amazing patience, but I love what I do so much that my lack of patience is focused on showing the kids the best way to direct their energy. I appreciate the things all the parents say, but coming from this particular mother was like receiving an award! Before I even reached the gate at the playgound with my kids, I began to tell Treasa of this good fortune. She said when this mother came up to pick up her son, she thanked her as well.
This made Lydia and Emily's 2nd parade. Back towards the first part of June Ryan, Lydia, Emily and myself were in a parade that was part of a local lawn party. The director of my center owns another center and we rode in the parade for that center--advertisement. It was really neat and the kids thought it was so great! We rode on a make shift float that was actually a trailer being pulled by a pick up. The trailer sat pretty close to the ground and at the end of the parade, in order to get back to our vehicles we had to get out on the main rode for about 2 miles. One of my co-workers was in the back of the pickup and yelled at me to turn around to look at Ryan and her son, Dylan. As I turned around I saw both of them leaning over the edge of the trailer watching the pavement go by rather quickly:). Screaming at them to get back before they fell off the trailer and hit by an oncoming vehicle, I realized this is the first time either of them had been able to see the road while riding in a vehicle. What an experience:).
1 comment:
They are so cute!!! What an awesome idea you guys put together (and what an awesome videographer you must have had!)
Post a Comment