The McGaheysville Lawn Party . . . best Lawn Party around. What is a lawn party you ask? . . . I don't really have a definition. I have found that Lawn Parites are not a "southern thing" or a "northern thing." I believe it is just a "Shenandoah Valley thing." Everyone I have ever met, that moves into this area (my parents included) have never heard of a Lawn Party. It must be a local thing. Whatever they are, I like them! Lawn Parties are a lot like the Fair. Two big differences . . . . it does not cost anything to get into a Lawn Party (only costs to eat the food or participate in the goings on) like it does a Fair and Lawn Parties are always planned for fundraising. The McGaheysville Lawn Party was created to raise money for the McGaheysville Volunteer Fire Department. Since we live in McGaheysville, what better place to go than somewhere that benefits our local fire department. I have always loved Lawn Parties and try to go to as many as I can every summer. I found out about a year or so ago that I get this trait from my father. He too LOVES Lawn Parties. My mother always goes with him and likes them ok, but goes for my Dad. Mike is kind of the same way, he likes them but probably would not go if I did not like them so much:). Like father like daughter!
This past Friday night Mike and I took the kids to the Fireman's Parade and then to the Lawn Party. The parade was terrific!! It is so close to our house that we are always able to walk to where the parade is being held. Lydia and Emily rode down to the parade in the wagon and Ryan walked, but the kids collected so much candy while watching the parade that we all had to walk back home:). The entire bottom of the wagon was covered with candy and Mike and I DID NOT PICK UP ANY CANDY this year. The kids did it all!! The parade is always really great. There are, of course, fire trucks from all different areas as well as Rescue Squads (this year one received a call right before the parade started--they had to leave), area car dealerships put one or two of their cars in the parade and you always see Miss Rockingham County as well as Little Miss Rockingham County adorning their crowns and riding on the firetrucks or on the back of a convertible. There are marching bands and tractor trailer rigs, motorcycles and muscle cars. And finally, bringing up the rear of the parade are about 8 - 10 men and women on horses. It is a great parade and people come from everywhere to see it! We always see all of our neighbors at the parade each year.
After walking home from the parade, we put the kids in the van and drove to the Lawn Party. The Lawn Party is pretty close and we would potentially walk there too (it is not as close as the parade), but we always come back after it is dark and walking with kids that late, in the dark, etc. just not safe. At the Lawn Party we met up with my Mom and Dad. They went with us while we took the kids on the merry-go-round and they all rode the flying elephants together. After that, we had enough tickets for two more people to go on a ride . . . rather than having a fight over what two kids were going to go, Mom took Lydia and Emily for a stroll and Mike took Ryan down the larger than life slide. The slide is HUGE and you slide down on smooth rugs. We bought the kids a bag of cotton candy and let them eat it while they watched some other children riding ponies. By that time it was almost 10:00 and everyone was ready for bed.
If you have never been to a Lawn Party, you must go to one!! Come visit us . . . we'll take ya!
No comments:
Post a Comment